Minnesota Homeschool Requirements

The Minnesota Department of Education or local school district DOES NOT certify or validate any nonpublic or homeschool, diploma or transcript.

Even though Minnesota does not highly regulate homeschooling, there are some Minnesota homeschool requirements you must satisfy when you homeschool:

  • File the Letter of Intent to Continue to Provide Instruction by October 1 each year thereafter. 
    Download Letter of Intent
  • Provide instruction in at least the following subject areas:
    • basic communication skills including reading and writing,
    • literature and fine arts
    • mathematics
    • science
    • social studies including history, geography, economics, government, and citizenship
    • health and physical education
  • Complete annual assessments
    • “If the results of the assessments indicate that the child’s performance on the total battery score is at or below the 30th percentile or one grade level below the performance level for children of the same age, the parent must obtain additional evaluation of the child’s abilities and performance for the purpose of determining whether the child has learning problems”
  • Stay current with homeschooling laws and requirements.

What do I need to be eligible to be a homeschool parent?

Based on 120A.22, A person who is providing instruction to a child must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • hold a valid Minnesota teaching license in the field and for the grade level taught
  • be directly supervised by a person holding a valid Minnesota teaching license
  • successfully complete a teacher competency examination
  • provide instruction in a school that is accredited by an accrediting agency or recognized by the commissioner;
  • hold a baccalaureate degree
  • be the parent of a child who is assessed according to the procedures in subdivision 11.

What records do I need to keep when I homeschool my child?

According to 120A.24.  The person or nonpublic school in charge of providing instruction to a child must maintain documentation.  This documentation must include:

  • class schedules
  • copies of materials used for instruction
  • descriptions of methods used to assess student achievement.”
  • Results of annual assessments
  • as well as immunization records.

It is recommended to keep records to provide verification of education.  This education proof is used to prepare for re-entry into public school or post-secondary pathways. This includes the following:

  • Attendance
  • Lists of texts and workbooks used
  • Student schoolwork samples and/or portfolios
  • Other test and evaluation results
  • Correspondence with school officials

Shared-Time classes or Sports/Activities

  • If your student is interested in taking an elective course within the school, please let the district office know when registering your student.
  • Home-school students can receive special education services through the school district.  **Please notify District Office if your student(s) require services for Special Education**
  • School Sports/Activities-Your student can participate in sports/activities.

What if I want to re-enroll my child in public school after homeschooling?

“The parent of a child who enrolls full time in public school after having been enrolled in a nonpublic school must provide the enrolling public school or school district with the following: 

  • child’s scores on any tests administered
  • education-related documents the enrolling school or district requires to determine
  • where the child is placed in school and what course requirements apply”
  • The Minnesota Department of Education notes the following: “Public school districts and other organizations (colleges, military or prospective employers) may require additional documentation to transfer credits or hire a home-school student. They might request:
  • Transcripts
  • A record of the student’s record of achievement
  • A portfolio of work the student completed
  • A list of the curriculum or textbooks
  • Administration of tests and results of assessments
  • An interview with the student(s)
  • A conference with the home-school instructor and/or parent/guardian

Aid for Non Public Students

The form is due to the District Office by September 15th

School year 2022-2023

Each homeschooled student can receive $81.31 for curriculum books and manipulatives if the AID FOR NON PUBLIC STUDENTS FORM is completed and returned before 9/15. 

Download Aid for Nonpublic Students Form HERE

We can order through places like Amazon, Christianbooks.com, Rainbow Resources, etc.

To place an order please see the following instructions:

  • Put the items to purchase in a wish list
  • Print off your wish list and attach to a requisition form (available at district office or via email)
  • Email wish list to carolyn_smiar@isd31.net with your name and student’s last name.
  • You cannot go over your $81.31 per student.  If your order goes over the allotted amount, we will take the least expensive item off before we order.
  • Once the requisition is received at the district office – It goes through our Curriculum Director for approval and then is sent to the Business Department to order.
  • Orders can take up to 8-12 weeks to receive. 
  • We will call you when your order comes in.